I don’t tolerate dairy well and started buying the dairy free ice cream. It started to get expensive and they still put questionable ingredients in the ice cream so I decided to make my own. I purchased an ice cream maker which is a Cuisinart ICE-21 and I made my first batch. It comes with a booklet but of course I don’t follow instructions and adapted it to my own recipe.
I won’t bore you with a bunch of words and just get right down to it.
- 3/4 cup raw cacao powder sifted (a good place to get this too is at Marshall’s or Homegoods
- 1/2 cup coconut crystals(if it’s not sweet enough add another 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 cups coconut cream (you can also find it at Trader Joe’s
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- optional handful chopped walnuts (it would also taste good with mini marshmallows but I didn’t have any)
Mix up all the ingredients and put them in the frozen bowl that comes with the ice cream maker and 20 minutes later, you have a finished product. You can also put it in the freezer for 2 hours but then take it out 15 minutes before you want to eat it because it will be rock solid. (I tried to eat it anyway and I couldn’t. It’s literally thawing right now as I type this.
PS:Remember this is a dark chocolate recipe and the raw cacao has all of the wonderful anti-oxidants so it will help with slowing down the aging process and it’s allegedly an aphrodisiac. I’ll eat to that. But remember the cacao does contain caffeine so you might want to eat this in the afternoon if you are sensitive to that. I hope you like it. I did finally get to eat it and it was rich and yummy and I love it.