I love this Vegan Taco Meat Recipe made from Cauliflower and Walnuts because I can make it in batches, portion it, freeze it, and take it out for a taco salad, a taco, lettuce wraps, or burrito! I have used this recipe for a taco bar at a graduation party and the guests did not know that it wasn’t ground beef!
The images below are some ideas on how you can use it:
Vegan Taco Meat Recipe – Cauliflower & Walnut Meat
2 Cups Raw Walnuts (unsalted)
1 lb. Cauliflower flourets
2 TBSP olive oil (Optional)
3 Medium Garlic Cloves Minced or pressed
2 TBSP Low Sodium Tamari
1 TBSP Chili Powder
1 & 1/4 TBSP Ground Cumin
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp Paprika
1/2 tsp Onion Powder
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
2 tsp Marmite (optional – will give it a little meatier taste but it is hard to find in the U.S. and has salt))
1. Add 2 cups of walnuts to food processor and chop until you have small particles (see picture), remove from food processor and place in mixing bowl.
Add 1 lb. of cauliflower florets to food processor and chop until you have small particles that are smaller than ‘riced’ cauliflower, (see picture), put in bowl with walnuts.
2. Add ALL other ingredients into cauliflower/walnut mixture and mix thoroughly with your hand, squishing the mixture together until well mixed
4. Place mixture on a baking sheet with parchment paper, keeping it pushed together so that it is 3/4 inch thick.
5. Bake in oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and turn mixture over and then bake for an additional 15 minutes. When it comes out of the oven, it looks and tastes just like taco meat!
6. A quick note on Marmite: It is readily available in the UK but difficult to find in the US. Is CAN be ordered on Amazon, I would suggest ordering more than one when you do!