Today I am sharing another childhood favorite, a summer tradition at my grandparents’ for each and every barbecue – Cucumber Salad! Crisp summer cucumbers and onions thinly sliced, marinated in a simple yummy vinegar, sugar and water dressing. A summertime favorite side dish.
Cucumber Salad – A traditional, old-school classic recipe. Refreshing, cool and crisp, perfect on hot summer days. This is the perfect side dish for any family gathering, picnic, BBQ or potluck – even better, it’s budget friendly!
Every time my grandpa grilled steaks, burgers or hot dogs in the summer, this was always one of the side dishes. My great-grandma, (Grandma B), loved this salad, hence the name.
Over the years I have changed the recipe a smidgen, adding tomatoes and dill for another layer of flavor. I also like mixing in a little red onion along with a white or Vidalia onion.
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 small onion, sliced thin (use your favorite onion – Vidalia is great, sweet onion or white). I like to mix in a little red onion for color, I also love the taste.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup sugar (use less or more to your liking)
- salt and pepper to taste
- toss in fresh tomatoes (use your favorite – cherry, plum, fresh from the garden)
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried dill or 3 teaspoons fresh dill weed
- English cucumbers are great for this salad